Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sea Glass


Gathering Sea Glass, also called Mermaid Tears, is an addiction. It's absolutely everywhere out here and it's difficult to walk down a beach without looking for it. It's amazing how God takes trash (broken bottles) and turns them into gems. Here is just a portion of what I collected from a beach on Misery Island the other day. The blue gem, front and center, is my prized piece. Blue is rare! It is hard to come across and it doesn't seem to "frost" as easily as other colors of glass. (Glass is colored because of what it is made of, so blue must be made of something very different from a soda bottle). I have yet to find a red piece, but a woman at Gloucester Beach on the 4th had just found a rather large, beautifully ripe gem. I was quite envious! She had also found a black piece there; which I have never found, either. Still, I have some good colors of my own and have made some good jewelry out of it. Also in the photo are a couple pieces of old broken pottery, which are also very old.

No comments:

Post a Comment