On July 4th, before the cook-out, and before the fireworks, Mark and I took our dog Blazer to Gloucester Beach to wear him out so he would be able to sleep through the neighborhood fireworks while we were away. While at the beach, we saw some guys gathering something from the ocean just off-shore. We inquired what they were up to and they said they were gathering mussels. They said you need a license to gather lobster and clams, but the mussels are free for all. They said that you throw them on the grill and they'll open up so you can dip them in melted garlic butter.
As lovers of all things seafood, Mark and I decided, right then and there, that that sounded like a marvelous plan to us!
Fast forward to July 6th, when we had our first warm and sunny day since 2008! I had just bought my second kayak and hadn't taken it out yet, so I was chomping at the bit to get out on the ocean! I left from Manchester-By-The-Sea harbor and headed to one of the many deserted islands right off of our shores.
While there, after reading two chapters of a boring book, finishing two magazines, and listening to 2 CDs, I went on the prowl for mussels to surprise Mark with. I didn't have to go far--the tide had just gone out and revealed dozens of mussels in a shallow tide pool.
Here are photos of my take. Pre-steamed, and steamed! Dipped in melted garlic butter, they were delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment